A short video of Moe Chee live at The Night Heron in September 2018:
Taiwanese/Australian duo Moe Chee 默契 play their only Australian show for 2018 at the Night Heron on Grand Final Eve (public holiday!). With support from Is There a Hotline? & Baby Roy.
Friday 28 September, 2018 – 8pm
The Night Heron, 228 Nicholson St, Footscray
Moe Chee 默契 (pronounced ‘Moe-chee’ or ‘Mo-Qi’) is a phrase in Mandarin that has no direct English translation, but can variously be interpreted as ‘silent bonding’, ‘unspoken agreement’, ‘mutual understanding’, ‘tacit’, ‘in sync’. Chun-Liang Liu and Clinton Green are artists working together with dance, music, movement and sound. Their performances, often unofficial and in public spaces, seek engagement and interaction with audiences and passersby. 默契 describes their connection in performance – https://moechee.com
Is There A Hotline? – Avid ‘flow’ practitioners and DIY enthusiasts Jen Tait (Gwenhwyfar Cheerful) and Jennifer Callaway call out to the cosmos using an assemblage of percussive objects and electronica, evoking transportive atmosphere, psychic storms and quiet retreats.
Baby Roy – Michael and George McNab. Sarcy subversive anti-performance duo. Special debut show on this 28th day of September, Name Of George’s 24th Baby Birthday. Boring acapella numbers, pathetic stage tricks, props, costumes… in short, idiocy hitherto unsurpassed… one awkward moment after another, for the sake of brotherly indulgence.
Last Moe Chee performance in Australia (2016):
I have performances coming up with two key collaborators who have been major influences on me in different ways:
- Moe Chee have played in Japan and Taiwan over the past 12 months, but this will be our first Australian performance since 2016 (and last for this year at least). Moe Chee is a performance and recording duo made up of myself and Taiwanese performing artist Chun-liang Liu. Our collaboration, active since 2014, has opened new possibilities in performance and improvisation for me, and continues to challenge. Friday 28 September, 8pm, at The Night Heron (228 Nicholson St, Footscray). Free admission. Also featuring Is There A Hotline? and Baby Roy. Facebook Event.
- Blindfold test: a showcase of instrument builders will feature the first public performance of the eponymous piece by myself and Ernie Althoff. Ernie and I have worked on and off together in recording and performance for several years, but primarily Ernie has been a generous mentor to me in the area of instrument building and sound sculpture. This event will also feature a showcase of other established and up-and-coming instrument builders, including Tina Douglas, Michelle Nguyen, Jen Tait and Zela Papageorgiou. Friday 5 October, 7:30pm, at The Burrow (formerly Aeso, 83 Brunswick St, Fitzroy), $10. Facebook Event.
Then coming up on 23 November I’ll be presenting a new kinetic sound sculpture at the One Night In Footscray event (more details to come later).
Photos by Wei Chen from two of our Taiwan performances over on the Moe Chee website:
And video made during our performance and in the streets of Tokyo on 31 October 2017:
MOE CHEE TAIWAN TOUR JANUARY 2018:
- Friday 12 January 2018 – Little Play, Taichung, Taiwan.
- Saturday 13 January 2018 – Ting Shuo, Tainan, Taiwan. Facebook event.
- Sunday 14 January 2018 – Kaohsiung, Taiwan (details to come)
- Friday 19 January 2018 – Jiang Shan Yi Gai Suo, Hsinchu, Taiwan.
– Saturday/Sunday 17-18 February 2018 – CURRENT (guest curated by myself and Michael McNab), Aeso Studio, 83 Brunswick St, Fitzroy (details to come).
– Saturday 17 March 2018 – Quiet Noise VII, 15 Neil St, West Footscray. Facebook event.
Friday 3 November 2017 @ Bar Bonobo, Tokyo
Thursday 9 November 2017 @ UrbanGuild, Kyoto.