New ones from Ross Manning, Great Waitress and Dotabata now in stock, details here.
My first solo release in 2 years is now available for download/limited edition cassette on Illuminated Paths.
The six tracks were recorded over the past few years, and represent what I’m doing now and where I want to go.
Here’s some video of Moe Chee‘s performance in Tainan, during our time in Taiwan, July 2015:
- Thursday 27 April 2017, 8:30pm – LongPlay, 318 St Georges Rd, North Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia. W/- Absurd Cosmos Late Nite, Telephone. $10. Facebook event.
European shows (Berlin & Spain):
- Thursday 11 May 2017, 7:30pm – Spektrum, Bürknerstraße 12, 12047 Berlin, Germany. W/- Klaxxoncallossum. Facebook event.
- Friday 12 May 2017, 9pm – Loophole, Boddinstr. 60, 12053 Berlin, Germany. W/- Ultraspießer, MCS, Ronald Gonko, Slow Slow Loris. Facebook event.
- Sunday 21 May 2017, 9pm – Liceo Mutante, 100, Rosalia de Castro, Pontevedra, Spain. W/- Daikiri.
- Wednesday 24 May 2017 – Sarean, Mariaren Bihotza Plaza Corazón de María, 4 48003 – San Frantzisko, Bilbao, Spain.
During my stay at the Museum of Innocence Mildura in November 2016 (as guest of the first MIM Artist-in-Residence, Ren Walters), I completed and installed my first visual artwork, called Order. This was not planned!
Music and sound are still very much a part of Order. The concept behind the work was to record the name of everyone who had performed in THIS Ensemble MkII (from early 2014 onwards). I spent some time creating a list participants, drawing on my own records and online documentation, photos, etc. Then I wrote each name on a brown paper lunch bag.
The original idea was to string them all up and suspend them with string, but when I first laid them out to photograph each bag together for documentation purposes, I liked how they looked and decided to leave them there on the floor. The next day, I gathered jacaranda petals from outside and scattered them over the bags (Mildura was alive with jacaranda bloom at the time). The piece was developing in stages.
Then I gathered up each bag, placing the petals in some of them as I did so, to hole-punch each corner and tie together with string.
The piece was then suspended in the central corridor of MIM for the last two days. I added a sonic element as well (see video below).
I am certainly not a visual artist, but it was great to have the opportunity to explore something new. I felt like it had a lot in common with my sound/performance practice as well – the centrality of process/stages, and the significance of objects/materials (brown paper has a significance for THIS Ensemble).
A really special day last Sunday afternoon at Quiet Noise VI, with thoughtful performances from all and a great biriyani dinner afterwards. Hopefully a bit of video in future, too.
Featuring works by Ren Walters, initial artist in residence at MIM, joined by members of THIS Ensemble. Also featuring works by Clinton Green and Juana Beltrán. With music, performance and actions by Carmen Chan, Michael McNab, Juana Beltrán, Clinton Green, Ren Walters, and various anonymous participants. Video by Clinton Green.