I have on occasion written scored compositions to be performed either by myself or others, usually in the form of text-based instructions. This approach was a way of exploring new and challenging improvisational situations that break habits, as well as highlighting social dynamics in group improvisation and music generally.
Please contact me if you are interested in accessing any of these scores.
Discretions For Ensemble (2015)
For five or more performers, any instrumentation.
- 23 January 2016, Tilde New Music Festival, Testing Grounds, Melbourne, Australia. Performers: Shani-Mohini Holmes, Tully Sumner, Barnaby Oliver, Chun-liang Liu, Carmen Chan, Sam McAuliffe, Melanie Walters, Rhys Butler, Jennifer Callaway, Stephen Roach and David Seedsman. Video and performance notes.
Namechanger (for Shani Mohini-Holmes) (2015)
For two voices.
- 20 July 2015, La Musica, La Mama Theatre, Melbourne, Australia. Performers: Clinton Green and Shani Mohini-Holmes.
Good Improv/Bad Improv (2013-14) –A game piece exploring positive and negative behaviours in improvisation.
For groups of three performers, any instrumentation.
- 5 May 2015, Perth Improv Collective, WAAPA, Perth, Australia. Facilitated in a workshop by Shani Mohini-Holmes and Michael McNab.
- 19 February 2015, More Talk Less Action, West Space, Melbourne, Australia. Performers: Lloyd Honeybrook, Alice Hui-Sheng Chang, Adam Simmons.
- 29 November 2014, Musikunst, Edinburgh Castle Hotel, Melbourne, Australia. Performers: Jim Denley, Jenny Barnes, Mat Blackwell, Llara Goodall, Carmen Chan, David Prescott-Steed.
- 31 May 2014, Musikunst, Great Britain Hotel, Melbourne, Australia. Performers: Todd Anderson-Kunert, Sean Baxter, Clinton Green, Evelyn Morris, Barnaby Oliver, Adam Simmons.
Two Guitar Trios: ‘Interwoven’ & ‘Adaptation’ (2005-6)
For three guitars and conductor.
- 25 October 2006, Defenders of the Axe #3, Loop Bar, Melbourne. Australia. Performers: Justin Fuller, Clinton Green, Barnaby Oliver, Chris Smith. Photos.